26 July 2007

Rehab and Remodel

It's so nice to finally be writing to you all from the Craig Rehab Center! You all have really blessed my parents...the room is filled with so many cards, books, magazines, other cool gifts, even photos and videos, lots of personalized special things. I couldn't even read through all of the cards, I was crying too much, too moved by all of the people who have reached out AND the wonderful, real, sincere things they (you all) had to say! I've already said that this is wonderful in previous updates, but to see it for myself was even more moving! Many of the cards said things like, "let us know how we can help you, what do you need, if you need ANYTHING let us know". Well, there is something and I will get to that in a bit, but first let me just tell about today.

Dad works his butt off in these classes! It is not a joke. The therapists and staff are really great and really encouraging. They have him do the exercises or activities on his own so that he learns how and builds strength. Dad had a time trial today on a wheelchair course with some ramps and turns in it. It was his third time and he shaved two minutes off of the previous time - excellent, but hard work! Then he went around the gym in a wheelie in his wheelchair - another skill to check off. He also mastered opening and getting through patio doors, no not with that automatic button, but on his own! All this was only in the first hour of the day. There was also OT and PT, each therapist is really great and impressed with Dad's improvements. In PT he worked on balance - sitting up on the edge of a raised mat in his brace. Then he and I played catch with weighted balls, he could do much more than the therapist's goal for that activity. Overall, he continues to improve, but this rehab is hard work and can get really frustrating. The positive atmosphere helps, but Dad's support and strong, persistent character also really makes a big difference!!

Mom is doing okay. She spends her days going to most of the classes with Dad, answering the cellphone, and making runs to Safeway when they need things. Some of the classes are for the two of them together and she learns a lot from going to the OT, PT, and other classes as well. Finally, she joined the "Wellness Center" which is a gym here and has started to workout in the mornings which Dad, Ellen, and I agree is good for her. While I am here I will go with her for a little mother-daughter bonding :-)

Tonight we made dinner in the apartment that I am staying in for the first couple of nights at the hospital. Dad got to see some of my photos while Mom and I made dinner. He actually had an appetite so it was nice to all sit together, not in the cafeteria, and have a nice dinner. Tomorrow I move into the suite that he and Mom are in.

The house is really changing FAST! I saw some more photos which I will post on my blog so you can check some of them. The room is closed in, the wiring and plumbing are in, and the drywallers (Uncle Ping and Cousin Buck and company) are driving from Montana as I write this. They are going to hang the drywall, tape, and paint. There is already a ramp in the garage. As this project has been going on countless people have put in countless hours to help either with the construction, meals for the crew, or providing refuge for Arlo or laundry services for Luke :-) MANY, MANY THANKS!!! This outreach is like something out of a Hallmark movie - you all are amazing!

The house project is where people can help in a tangible way. Many of you are already giving sooooooooo much of your skills (construction, cooking, hospitality, etc) towards remodeling the house for Dad to return and that's AWESOME! However, in response to numerous cards asking "what can we do to help you" you could contribute financially to the remodelling of the house. The former study is being turned into a bedroom/bathroom with a roll-in wheelchair accessible shower. Also, a ramp was built in the garage. All of the materials, aside from the bathroom tiles, are coming on account through Klingbeil Lumber and Bill Klingbeil is in charge of the account for the project. Those interested in contributing financially to this can send a check with "Dixon Remodel Project" in the subject line to:
Klingbeil Lumber Co
Attn Bill Klingbeil
1175 W Broadway
Medford, WI 54451

Please continue to keep up the support through your well wishes, emails, calls, prayers, letters/cards, and encouragement. This is not easy, I'm seeing more of the reality of that now that I am here. However, it's MUCH better because of you all and more not even on this list that some of you have informed. Feel free to forward these emails to others who would like to be updated. OR send me their email addresses and I can add them to the list. Thank you so much. A HUGE hug to each of you for every little or big way you have loved and support our family, especially Dad, through this so far!!!

Much love.

No comments: