18 July 2007

how to make your own boerewors


1. kill an animal, slaughter a cow or hunt some springbok and blesbok
2. the animal must be skinned, gutted, and washed
3. chop up the carcass and cut off the chunks of meat, smaller chunks for wors, then the other parts for steaks, roasts, etc.
4. weigh out the chunks of meat (24 kilograms), add sheep fat (6 kilograms)
5. leave the science of spicing the meat for wors to the uncle who owns the farm
6. grand the meat/fat together in meat grinder
7. pack ground meat into sausage maker
8. check the derms (intestine) for any holes and put onto the sausage maker
9. turn the handle and out comes the meat into the derms and you have wors
10. neat trim and then coil the wors into huge basins
11. package into salad plate sized coils and label for distributing to the whole family OR just braai it!

How do I know all of this? I certainly did not tour a butchery. I went to Uncle Bucks's farm with Jaco and his parents and we did all of this ourselves. It was the big family hunt in which the processed a cow, four gemsbok (oryx), seven springbok, and a blesbok. After all of that, including making 180 kilograms of wors, I only wanted to eat only vegetables for a while before anymore meat :-)

No comments: