17 November 2006

reflecting on the year

You never know exactly what is going to happen in your life from year
to year. Particularly, if you move someplace new. For me that move
was to a whole new country! My first year as a Peace Corps volunteer
has been so much more that I ever could have expected or imagined!
On November 7, 2005, I said my final goodbye to my parents at the
security gate of CWA (Central Wisconsin Airport). All of us in
tears, but I think that all of us knew this was exactly what I was
supposed to be doing. After eight weeks of pre-service training I
was sworn in as a true PCV. I even gave a speech in Afrikaans
thanking the trainers and staff for all that they shared with us over
those eight weeks. I never thought that I would speak in front of a
room full of peers, Namibians, and diplomats in a language that I
only began learning two months before!

Since moving to Mariental and beginning work at the TRC in January I've:

*found two homes away from home here where I know I can go if I need
anything at all or just to hang out
*explored a rare lily pan that only forms if there is enough annual
rainfall
*survived a flood here in desert and helped clean up the aftermath
*met a incredible guy, Jaco, and started dating a couple months later
*experienced life on a farm in the Kalahari Desert
*spent Easter on the coast in Luderitz
*travelled throughout central Namibia on a ten day camping adventure
(Oanob Dam, Gross Barmen Hot Springs, Omaruru, Swakopmund, and the
Namib Desert)
*had a visit from my mom and sister and got to share parts of Namibia
with them (Etosha, Swakopmund, Okahandja, and Anib Lodge in the
Kalahari Desert)
*hitch-hiked to the far northwest corner of Namibia with Dani to
paint a world map mural in a library at a village school
*visited Epupa Falls and then spent one night on an Oshiwambo
homestead outside of Ondangwa
*worked with Megan and Dani to paint 3 world map murals (2 schools
and 1 library)
*attended numerous school functions such as performances, athletics,
a funwalk, and an awards ceremony
*assisted with training teachers to facilitate holistic HIV and AIDS
clubs
*visited 27 primary schools with my counterpart, Heidie, to observe
classes, offer support & feedback to teachers, promoting reading
development, promote the TRC & available resources, and help the
teachers to understand learner-centered education better
*started a Girls Club at a local school with Dani
*collaborated with other volunteers to put on a leadership/women's
empowerment conference for Girls Clubs in the south of Namibia
*helped plan & prepare the training for the next group of volunteers

I had no idea what my life and my work would actually be like here,
but now that it has been a year I can honestly say that I have no
complaints! Yes, there are plenty of challenges along the way, but
it is all worth it and the good far outweighs the bad. Even though I
am a foreigner here, I feel much less like one than I did a year
ago. If I have experienced so much in this year, what will 2007 bring?

1 comment:

shanani said...

Congratulations Beth on such a productive and amazing year. You've obviously accomplished so much in such little time especially given all of the transitions and adaptations you've had to make in a new culture.

Woowhoo for the first year!
Best wishes
Shannon Russell