WHAT?!?!?! One of the girls really did say this to me yesterday at
Girls Club. I was so confused. I know that takkies are sneakers or
running shoes and porridge is this thick cream-of-wheat staple food
here. Why were her takkies "asking some porridge"? At first I
wanted to say, "What are your takkies asking of the porridge?" The
sole was starting to come off of her shoe. I still don't know if she
wanted some porridge to stick her takkies back together, as porridge
can be quite sticky, or if the separation or the sole and shoe looked
like an open mouth that was hungry for porridge.
"Miss, this one, she just swore my mother." WHAT?!?!?! I had to
turn to Dani for translation on this one. Basically she was speaking
poorly of the other girl's mother or dishing out some "yo mama..." talk!
Needless to say, the girls were quite full of energy at Girls Club
and ready for our topic, exercise. We discussed muscles, why you
need them, and the heart as a muscle. We showed all of the girls how
to take their own pulse. Then we headed outside for a little
practical exercise. There was much laughing and talking on our
fitness walk, but after a fast paced game of frisbee they were sweaty
and exhausted. We had the girls check their pulse after the walk and
then after the frisbee game. Girls Club wrapped up with a
calculating beats per minute, analyzing the difference in our pulse
as activity increased, and then answering their further question
about exercise.
The takkies that were asking some porridge made it through this
session of Girls Club.
No comments:
Post a Comment