11 February 2006

Lily Pan Excursion





In Afrikaans a "pan" is like a shallow pond that is formed in a low area after a lot of rain. About 200km from Mariental is a field (veld in Afrikaans) that grows these gorgeous lilies. People here say that these special lilies only grow here and only if there is enough rain to flood the field. On the years when this is enough rain, it's an amazing event! Along with the lilies come these huge, interesting beetles! I've never seen bugs like these before! People come from Windhoek and from even greater distances just to see this field of lilies. After walking around in the lily veld and taking many photos, visitors then travel further into the farm where there is a smaller dam to swim in and places to braai (Americans would say grill or bbq). There is a fabulous family that has taken good care of us PCVs. They invite us along to see special events like the Lily Festival. This Sunday was one of the most fabulous, relaxing, wonderful, refreshing days that I've had so far in Namibia. I never thought that I would see something like this is Namibia. It was the second weekend in a row that I went swimming...AND the braai was of course very delicious!

No comments: