25 January 2008

First Days of School

School began in Namibia last week and Heidie, Brooke (my replacement), and I were able to hold a workshop last week to help teachers start off the year on the right foot.

My final project was a workshop for the teachers of Mariental focusing on the first days of school: establishing procedures and routines in your classroom, teaching rules and consequences. Definitely not news to any teacher, but VERY nice to bring teachers together and give them a fresh look at all of this with some tips along the way. We had twenty teachers from Danie Joubert and the whole time none of them looked disengaged. They participated, asked questions, and I think really benefited from this "First Days of School" workshop.

Thanks to the publishers and authors, Harry and Rosemary Wong, ten copies of their book were donated to the Hardap Region last February. I gave copies to the two teacher resource centers in the region, the lower primary advisory teacher, and to seven schools throughout the region who I've worked with and felt would make use of this fabulous resource!

This project was a definite high note to end on!

No comments: