05 March 2007

Track and Field Day in Mariental





Even though I am not teaching at Danie Joubert, I like to volunteer
to help with school events. This is the school where I run the girls
club. Also, the principal there and his family have been so
welcoming and helpful to myself and other volunteers in Mariental,
past and present. One early Saturday morning (6:45) Megan and I
walked across the street to help out at the Danie Joubert In-House
Athletics. This means it was the school's track and field day.
Megan and I were timers for the grade 1-9 event. It was a long, hot
day, but a lot of fun. We enjoyed getting to know some of the other
teachers and some parents that we worked with. By quarter past five
when the final relay was finished we turned in our stopwatches and
headed home for cold showers and some rest. This was only the in-
house competition. Megan worked the next weekend at the zonal junior
secondary schools' competition and I worked again the weekend after
that at the primary schools' zonal competition. Each day hot, but
not as long and each time feeling like we are a part of a school
community and able to give back to the schools that we work in or with.

No comments: