22 January 2007

refreshing holiday at the sea







During the December holiday (it's the same as summer vacation in the
U.S., school closes the beginning of December and reopens mid-
January) I had the opportunity to visit the ocean. Many Namibians go
to the coast at this time of year to escape the heat inland, up to 40C
+! It was nice to have cool, misty days. Even when the sun was out,
the ocean breeze was cool. You have no idea how refreshing coming
from blazing sun and 42C in Mariental! Enough about the
weather...the experiences are more interesting as I...

*visited the seal colony at Cape Cross
*went sea angling with Jaco and his dad and was the only one to catch
any fish
*made sand angels instead of snow angels
*spent Christmas with Jaco's family: parents, sister, cousin, and Ouma and Oupa who
remind me very much of my grandparents with their wit and smart remarks
*enjoyed relaxing afternoons at the beach with more fishing and
making potjiekos (a pot meat and vegetables cooked in a sauce on a fire)

Most importantly, I rested, relaxed, and enjoyed the company I was in
for the holidays! I was able to speak with my family on the phone a
few times, so they did not seem so far away from my holiday at the
sea with Jaco and his family.

I hope that each of you reading this had a blessed Christmas and a
happy New Year!! All the best for 2007!

No comments: