



There has definitely not been a lack of protein or variety in my diet in Namibia...
Biltong is dried meat kind of like beef jerky, but spiced differently and this kind is made from kudu meat.
Next, there is a sheep head. In Wisconsin sheep head is a card game, here it is dinner, but only on a special occasion! I tried the brains, cheek, and tongue, but not the eyeballs!
My favorite of the meat varieties in Namibia is braai vleis (grilled meat). Here are some chops and sausages on the braai. They are among the most common types of braai vleis.
The last photo is not lobster, but crayfish. It's very similar to lobster and this one came fresh from Luderitz!
In addition to these meats pictured I've also tried the following in Namibia: sheep intestines, bone marrow, springbok steak, oryx steak, beef steak, delicious kebabs, pork belly, tuna steak, fresh oysters, fresh sole (in Swakopmund), and prawns.
Agh, and to think that before leaving for Peace Corps friends and family were worried that I would not be eating anything but green mush or red mush depending on the day as my great uncle did when he served in Peace Corps in Kenya in the 1960s...honestly, the consumption of meat in this country really did surprise me when I arrived. I guess I just really didn't know what to think!
No comments:
Post a Comment