24.12.05
This morning (Christmas Eve) I woke up at 4:52 to for a phone date with my family in Wisconsin. It was dark and chilly and only the roosters were up as I walked across the Rest Camp to get to the pay phone. It was such a blessing to be able to talk with my mom, dad, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, and three cousins! It was 9pm for them and they had just finished dinner...no marinated beef tenderloin and twice baked potatoes for us here in Omaruru though! There is also no snow which is really strange for me at Christmas time. However, we are planning some fun things to celebrate: decorating the Rest Camp, bonfire with s'mores tonight, some of us are going to church, and a yankee swap tomorrow. Christmas music is everywhere and the people who work in the local businesses are all wearing Santa (Father Christmas) hats. Many of the trainees have Christmas music on their computers and have been playing it today as we are all hanging out at the Rest Camp. We are all in the same boat being away from home/family so we are definitely making the most of our Namibian Christmas!
Enjoy your American Christmas!
Blessings,
Beth
p.s. If you want to check out some of the blogs from others in my group, see the list below:
Courtney: http://hutnumbertwo.blogspot.com
Jason: http://mindofjason.com - This is the I.T. guy and he updates his blog often AND I think has links to others.
Andrew: http://leahyinafrica.blogspot.com
Brock: http://brockblackburn.blogspot.com
1.1.06
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
NAM 25 celebrated the New Year with a talent show, bonfire, and dance party at the Omaruru Rest Camp. I visited my host family because I had not seen them in a week and I found that my host mom and aunt are coming to our swearing-in ceremony in Windhoek. It was fun to spend part of the holiday with "family" even though they aren't my real family.
We celebrated the first day of the new year with a fabulous pancake breakfast compliments of Suzy and Miriam, two awesome ladies in our group!
Hope everyone back home in the States reading this is doing well and enjoying the holidays! Thank you for those who are posting comments. Moosie, I cannot wait to read yours! The comments get sent to my email, so even when I cannot log on to blog, I can read the comments.
Blessings,
Beth
01 January 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment